[mythtv-users] hardware setup capable of what i want it to do?

Thom Paine painethom at gmail.com
Tue Mar 1 00:40:33 UTC 2005

On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 16:45:56 +0100, Laurens Timmermans <Lauwe at planet.nl> wrote:
> I want to start a htpc-project using mythtv, but i have a few questions:
>
> the hardware-setup as i am planning on using:
> *MSI nforce1-based motherboard with 256 MB DDR-memory
> *Amd Duron 800 Mhz CPU
> *Hauppauge PVR-350
> *DVD-rom player

I have a PIII 1GHz with 512M and a PVR-350.

> 1. if i get a Hauppauge PVR-350 will i be able to watch dvd's through it's
> output on my tv ? (i read somewhere it can't because of
> protection/encryption, but i read somewhere else that it can through the
> framebuffer and software decoding (is my machine capable of doing this?)).

I can watch DVD's on mine no problem. You need to feed the audio out
on the PVR-350 card to your soundcard line in and have the soundcard
out go to the TV.

> 2. can i play the myth-games (snes emulator etc..) through the 350's
> framebuffer?

Dunno. I've heard no, because the 350 doesn't support openGL. But I
don't plan on playing games, so it's of no concern to me. Sorry bout
that.

> 3. i don't need any other videocard or anything if i would be able to use
> the pvr-350?

You could get away with onboard video, be it Intel 810 or something
like that. I patched my initrd to put the output to the TVOut on the
PVR-350. The only boot messages I miss are the memory count and if
there was a hard lockup I don't get the notice that the system was
shut down uncleanly. thus, without a keyboard or mouse hooked up, I
don't get to do a disk check.

> 4. how much better is the pvr-350's tv output compared to the tv-output of a
> gf4mx400 for example. (in other words, would using the gf4mx440 with it's
> tv-out + a pvr250 or pvr500mce be just as good/a better solution)?

According to Jarrod on his guide, the 350 has the most superior
output. But you don't get to play games in the mythgame. Also by using
the 350 you can skip the added cost of the extra video card and go
with a mainboard that has onboard video. It's only really needed for
the initial config.

--
-=/>Thom