[mythtv-users] [OT] 1080i

Brad Templeton brad+myth at templetons.com
Tue Mar 1 02:14:18 UTC 2005

> I've been running myth using just xv, and its fine with that, so I'd
> be happy to give up xvmc if I thought there was a way to get the
> opensource nv driver to do 1080i.  Has anybody tried that?  When I try
> using the nv drivers I can't get anything resembling HD to work.  I
> haven't gone as far as rebuilding them from source and peppering the X
> server with printfs to see why it rejects modes (bad mode
> clock/interlace/doublescan) which the other drivers liked just fine.
>

> Alternatively, the thread earlier this month suggests an Nvidia
> 6600GT should be able to do 1080i on its built-in component out.
> But those cards all seem to have fans, and are expensive.
>
> So this leaves me with the Audio Authority 9A60.  Does going out
> the VGA port work around the nvidia interlace bug?  I've seen
> this implied, but I don't think anybody has actually come out and
> said it.   If this works, why are people (from the 6600GT thread)
> so eager to ditch their 9A60?

The VGA port will not have the interlace bug, you can make it work
using the Audio authority.

And indeed, many drivers and cards have xvideo bugs at more than 1600
wide (which is all most people ever did before hdtv) though some day
they might be fixed.  At least nvidia works out the vga port.

The nvidia prop drivers seem faster than the open source drivers.  One
problem with 1080i is you are pumping a LOT of data through the video
card, and you need it all to be working right and fast.

Your TV may be one of the ones that actually has 1080 lines so if that's
true you will want the full res.  For 720/768 line TVs, running at that
resolution and having xv downscale is actually a good choice.