[mythtv-users] Looking for a mainboard

Brad Templeton brad+myth at templetons.com
Tue Mar 1 20:46:56 UTC 2005

On Tue, Mar 01, 2005 at 03:40:49PM -0500, Angel Li wrote:
> Brad Templeton wrote:
>
> >On Tue, Mar 01, 2005 at 11:37:51AM -0600, Bryce wrot
> >

> >>Actually, while the current myth transcoding tools are not designed for
> >>dealing with the multiple resolutions that come from HD, I have found
> >>you can transcode 1080i to either 1280x720px30fps or if you like
> >>1280x540 and get a very good, high-def recording in under 2gb per hour.
> >>

> I was wondering how long your script takes to generate the 1280x720 file
> for a typical 1 hour HD recording. Also, what type/speed CPU are you using?

Oh, it ain't fast at all, especially 2 pass.   Probably about 3 hours.
It varies.  An athlon 3000.   You can speed it up a lot by taking out
some of the quality options.   I haven't done a full raft of experiments
to see what you really need.  Note mythtranscode is just one pass.

Definitely something you want to do in late-night background jobs.