[mythtv-users] Via VT8233 and SPDIF TOSLINK output

Shawn Willden shawn-myth at willden.org
Wed Mar 2 16:52:13 UTC 2005

Sorry to reply to the list, but your mail server bounces my messages
because my mail server is on my cable modem.  It is not, and has never
been, an open relay, but there are a number of ISPs who reject my mail
because it might be.  Irritating.

Marius Schrecker wrote:

>>Mine had a noisy fan on the NForce3 Ultra northbridge, which I replaced
>>with a passive cooler, northbridge runs a little warm now so may have to
>>put a quiet fan on the side of the case to improve air throughput. Main
>>fan is almost silent so that the "quiet" psu fan is actually louder. Disk
>>is a Seagate S-ATA which is actually pretty quiet. I'll experiment with
>>different filesystems in a bit to see if that has any bearing on sound.
>>Reiser4 seems smoother and quieter in one of my other boxes. Good luck with
>>the sound. I'll post if I have any luck with mine.

You have an Athlon64 in that, right?  Here's a suggestion:  If you
aren't already doing it, make sure that you run powernowd (or something
similar).  The PowerNow technology in the new AMD chips is great.  My
desktop machine has an Athlon64 in it and with powernowd running, most
of the time the CPU temperature is right around 30C with the CPU fan
turned *OFF*.  Powernowd keeps it downclocked to 1GHz except when more
power is actually needed, and I'm using fancontrol to automatically
adjust the fan speed based on CPU temperature.  Fancontrol is configured
to turn the fan on at 35C (at low rpms, higher temps gradually speed up
the fan; it goes to full speed at 50C), so my CPU fan is off nearly all
of the time.

In your case the Shuttle ICE fan is pretty quiet anyway, but it can't
hurt to keep that processor as cool as possible.  If nothing else to
keep the ambient temperature inside the case as low as possible to help
keep your northbridge cool.

I don't regret going with the slower CPU for this media PC -- it really
won't need even the horsepower that it's got -- but I do wish that the
Sempron had PowerNow.

    Shawn.