[mythtv-users] parts list

Brad Templeton brad+myth at templetons.com
Wed Mar 2 19:47:28 UTC 2005

On Wed, Mar 02, 2005 at 01:17:05PM -0600, Bryce wrote:
> After a ton of digging through the archives, the great responses to my
> mainboard query, and searching around on Newegg, here's what I've come up
> with for my parts list:
>
> Video: leadtek geforce 6600 pci-e $109
> Case: Coolermaster ATC-620-BX1:   $80
> CPU: Intel P4 630 LGA 775         $245
> Mainboard: gigabyte GA-8I915G-MF  $95
> Memory: 2 x 512 DDR PC-3200       $46.51 ($93)
> Capture: HD-3000                  $179
> HD: Maxtor 160GB                  $40 AR
> PSU: Unknown yet                  $60?

Probably more CPU than you need (it's your most expensive part).
Of course it never hurts to have more CPU, but it does generate more
heat, and heat == noise.

Also more memory than you strictly need, but you're getting a very good
price for pc3200 512s.

Probably less disk than you need.   You can only get so many disks in
a box (not just because of slots, but because of power supply and
controllers) so I am loathe to buy below 200gb these days, even though
it is slightly more expensive than the 160gb "sweet spot".

Consider looking for 5400 rpm drive instead of 7200 if you can get a
good price.   Less power, less heat, less noise, in theory more
reliable.