[mythtv-users] FC3, lirc and irman

Andy Long andymyth at gmail.com
Thu Mar 3 02:37:34 UTC 2005

Not sure how much experience you have using irrecord or linux, but
this might be helpful in getting irrecord to work (it was for me).

First, kill the process that's using lirc.  Type:

# /sbin/fuser /dev/lirc

You'll get a process number.  Then type

# kill <somenumber>   (where <somenumber> is your process number)

Now, to run irrecord, type;

# irrecord /home/mythtv/remoterec.conf

The /home/mythtv/remoterec.conf is the outptut file irrecord will
make.  You'll be able to tell pretty quickly.  One of the first steps
asks you to hold down a button on the remote.  If it gets input, it
will make a series of dots across the screen.  If it gets nothing, it
will just sit there.

Be sure to sit within a few feet of the TV and aim at the receiver for
best results.