[mythtv-users] Broadcast Flag Article mentions MythTV and quotes Issac

Maverick mavantix at gmail.com
Thu Mar 3 16:21:05 UTC 2005

> The article is great - Mainly. However, opening with this quote:
>
> 'ALL I WANT  is to make a high-definition copy of Buffy the Vampire
> Slayer, save it on a DVD, and loan it to my friend," says Sarah Brydon,
> looking up from a long table covered with half-built computers.
>
> REALLY gets my back up. Again. This is what the media companies are
> trying to (rightly) prevent with the broadcast flag. And MythTV is
> appearing to be referred to consistently in this light.

Your right. I doubt that will never change... just a consequence of
being the best open source PVR project on the net. Then again, what's
wrong with giving an HD copy of a tv show to a friend that doesn't
have an HD antenna? If her friend had the antenna, then she would have
been able to watch the show.

It seems like making something illegal to share, that's being *aired*
unencrypted, is kind of an oxymoron.

Let's face it, the only reason these companies (the one's with the
gun, I mean money, in the FCC's back) want the broadcast flag is so
they can produce more of those store shelf hogging "TV seasons on DVD"
and sell them to you for $40+ a season.

-Kenneth