[mythtv-users] Re: 1080i

Neil neil-on-mythtv at restricted.dyndns.org
Thu Mar 3 16:29:42 UTC 2005

Joseph A. Caputo writes:

> On Wednesday 02 March 2005 18:00, Josh Burks wrote:
>>
>> I hope Leadtek has improved the quality of fans they put on their
>> cards. We have ~2 Dozen white box oem pc's that came with Leadtek
>> nvidia cards. Over half of them growl, due to bearing/bushing failure.
>> The noise drives my co-workers nuts. On average, the fans went south
>> around 6 months old.
>>
>> Just an FYI...
>
> Yeah, the fan on my Leadtek GF4MX-420 card went bad... not sure when;
> I'm sure it had something to do with the X lockups I was seeing all the
> time.  I don't think the heat was too bad unless I tried to do anything
> with OpenGL.  I finally noticed it when I rebuilt my system; not only
> was the fan not running, but the caps were going bad as well.  The card
> is in for RMA now; can't wait to get it back because the TVout blew
> away my current onboard nForce2 with the new NV18 encoder chip.
> If/when I do get it back, I may change out the fan for some passive
> cooling as a preemptive measure.

I still haven't notice anything with my leadtek card's fan. I will have to
check it tonight. Seems quiet to me though.

Anyways, Jarod, don't worry about sending your config. I got X working with
the propietary 6pin ps/2 port. However, I'm still having solid battle with
single head configuration on this port and DVI port.

If anyone is interested in troubleshooting, here are my different
mythfrontend logs:

This is a single head configuration. Only component cable is connected on
the proprietary 6pin p/s2 via the converter. VGA cable removed too.

The link below is a log using Xv and that it only showed blank screen.

http://restricted.dyndns.org/mythlog.txt

I tried running mythfrontend like this:

NO_XV=1 mythfrontend

and guess what, I was able to watch the recorded program. So is it an
OVERLAY issue when using single head?

There is another link but I posted it last night in pastebin.com but it uses
XvMC. The log was similar too however, it added some XvMC lines. Blank
screen too.

Here is another link of mythfrontend but using my twinhead xorg
configuration using XvMC and I am able to see the recorded program without
any issues. However, both DVI and VGA cables are connected. This is my
current setup.

http://restricted.dyndns.org/mythlog4.txt

I did another test using mplayer. I played it like this:

mplayer -vo xv test.st

the system spiked to 99% cpu utilization. So it's not a Myth issue!!!

What are your recommendations now. If I can get this to work using single
head(to get rid of tearing in pictures), that would be awesome!!!

Thanks.

Neil