[mythtv-users] Broadcast Flag Article mentions MythTV and quotes Issac

Aaron Stewart acs at hourglassone.com
Thu Mar 3 18:17:03 UTC 2005

Close, but not quite..

IIRC, the law still prohibits "group" viewing, which is a gathering of
over 12 people.. That law applies to commercially available DVDs, VHS, as
well as recordings of shows.

It also seems to me that the new law would only prohibit *selling* of
devices that don't obey the new flag.. Meaning, you could build your own
device, just not market it.

And I'd imagine that at some point we'll see some kind of inline device
that would attach to your cable before your tv/tv card/box that strips out
the broadcast flag, but maybe that's just wishful thinking.

I'd also like to note that while the article in the SF Guardian has some
merit, the EFF tends to go off the deepend a bit.. They have a great
cause, and I applaud them for upholding it, but they go overboard far too
often, which lends them less credibility in political circles than is
their due.

-=Aaron