[mythtv-users] Broadcast Flag Article mentions MythTV and quotes Issac

Neil Watson mythtv at watson-wilson.ca
Thu Mar 3 18:50:26 UTC 2005

On Thu, Mar 03, 2005 at 10:41:31AM -0800, Geoff Scott wrote:
>Given one of the posters thoughts, which I think are really good, how
>about something like:
>
>"The Big Media Companies are about to buy you.  The Government is
>about to sell you.  Do you want to be a digital slave?"
>
>or
>
>"Imagine a world with no fast forward buttons"

Ultimately the broadcast flag will take away our VCRs.  VCRs will be
phased out in favour of DVRs which, when honouring the broadcast flag,
will be less functional.  No more time shifting.

Ultimately, I think this law will fail.  Even if it's passed, there will
be mass civil disobedience.  There will be a work around.  There always
is.  People will simply buy offshore devices that shipped in brown paper
boxes.

--
Neil Watson               | Gentoo Linux
Network Administrator     | Uptime 49 days