[mythtv-users] Broadcast Flag Article mentions MythTV and quotes Issac

Mark L. Cukier mark at pemicro.com
Thu Mar 3 19:27:22 UTC 2005

I agree 100%-- it is my duty to disobey a law that a large consensus of
reasonable people agree is unjust. This is the whole basis for civil
disobedience, etc.

I'm sorry, but if someone is going to tell me that it's illegal for me
to record cable (that I pay for) and record/fast forward/rewind any of
the content that they've broadcast to me... that's just ridiculous. Laws
like this make me extremely angry!! This is about congress pandering to
those-who-donate-- and laws that are bought/sold are intrinsicly unjust!

Regardless, I think all this worrying may be pointless at this point. a)
I would bet my bottom dollar that this will eventually fizzle and b)
even if it doesn't, it'll just get hacked. Granted, it will be a pretty
big bummer to have to be a felon in order to pause my TV while I go the
bathroom, but such is the price of being on the bleeding edge.... :-D

- Mark

Jason Werpy wrote:

>On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 11:07:17 -0500, Mark L. Cukier <mark at pemicro.com> wrote:
>

>>Currently I would NEVER consider getting a "black box"-- I'm not going
>>to steal cable. But, once the "black boxes" output a signal with the
>>flag filtered out... well, I'll still pay for my cable but I'll
>>definitely have a black box!!!!!!!!!
>>
>>:-D
>>

>This reminds me of an add they run on my cable where a guy is
>interviewing for a job.  Then the interviewer notes that he has a
>criminal record.  The inverviewee says "Oh that, I just had one of
>those cable descramblers, its was no big deal".  The interviewer looks
>at him and says well this interview is over, or something like that.
>Then cue the ominous "Cable Theft, its a Crime," voice over.  Every
>time and I mean EVERY time I see this add I can just hear them
>replacing the line about stealing cable with "I just recorded a show
>to watch later with my PVR", and replacing the cable theft line with
>"Recoding HD TV, its a Crime."
>
>At that point I just shake my head, because I know thats exactly how
>Big Media wants it to be.  But I do still know one thing, I will do
>everything in my power to never ever honor the copy bit, no matter
>what.

____________________________
*Mark L. Cukier*, /Design Engineer/
P&E Microcomputer Systems