[mythtv-users] "prebuferring pause" - very high CPU - "strange error flushing buffer" - EPIA M card

jerome lacoste jerome.lacoste at gmail.com
Thu Mar 3 23:12:44 UTC 2005

Hi

I am setting up my first mythtv box. So running into loads of
problems, and slowly sorting them out :)

I looked at various docs and list archives but am getting stuck.

So far I can play music well. That's a good start. The box plays TV
well with xawtv & tvtime, but that doesn't prove mythtv will work....

I've tried the mute input line + aplay /dev/dsp trick. The box is
responsive although the sound is cracking at best. Not sure of what to
do with that, I went on.

The other problem I am having is a lot of "prebuffering pause"
messages output by the frontend. At the same time the backend logs a
single "strange error flushing buffer". I've noticed that while this
is happening the ring buffer is getting filled, but I guess that is
normal. If I pause the TV while playing then unpause it, it doesn't
solve the problem. The box is at 98% CPU while I do that, so it may be
a CPU problem. Bit I thought that my setup was not that untypical...
see below:

- EPIA M (Nehemiah) box
- Terratec Cinergy 600 TV (saa7134)
- mythtv 0.17 as taken from Debian unstable + patch for unichrome XvMC
- kernel 2.6.10 + various patches for EPIA
- alsa 1.0.8
- .asoundrc for via82xx

Any input appreciated.

Jerome