[mythtv-users] reiserfs + 2.6 kernel + mythbackend = slow ?

ben levitt benjie at gmail.com
Fri Mar 4 02:59:43 UTC 2005

After upgrading my mythbackend to 2.6.10 (from 2.4.25), I noticed some
serious slowdowns.
 - opening the recordings page got much slower
 - mythtranscode got suuuuuuper slow

These seemed disk related, so I researched a little and found that the
2.6 kernel's implementation of reiserfs clashes with some
applicatoins.  But fortunately the workaround is easy.

add nolargeio=1 into the options field for each reiserfs entry in your
/etc/fstab file.

my 2 lines:

/dev/hdc1 / reiserfs notail 1 1
/dev/myth/tv /mnt/media/myth/tv reiserfs defaults 0 0

turned into:

/dev/hdc1 / reiserfs notail,nolargeio=1 1 1
/dev/myth/tv /mnt/media/myth/tv reiserfs defaults,nolargeio=1 0 0

And now it's nice and speedy, and more responsive than it used to be
with kernel 2.4.25.  :)

In case it's relevant, I use serial ata drives with old (non-scsi)
piix support compiled into the kernel, and I have a pvr-250.

Ben