[mythtv-users] Audio Authority 9A60 questions

Robert Tsai rtsai1111 at comcast.net
Fri Mar 4 04:15:59 UTC 2005

What exactly does this thing do? As far as I can tell, it "translates"
VGA input into component output. But it seems like it is more than
that, because people talk about it giving them access to more
modelines (TV resolutions) that they couldn't get when connecting the
video card directly to the TV.

Does the 9A60 just look like a computer monitor to X (with different
capabilities than those advertised by the TV when connected directly
to the video card)? How does it "know" what to advertise to the video
card those modes that the TV can support?

What does the $100 9A60 provide that I can't get with a $30
DVI-to-component adapter? (or a similar VGA-to-component adapter?)

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-999-903&depa=0
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-999-203&depa=0

I have a Toshiba 42H83 RPTV that will do a
severely-overscanned-but-presentable 960x540p (856x480 viewable area)
and an also-severely-overscanned 720x480p (didn't bother figuring out
what the exact viewable area). The Toshiba manual claims the DVI input
can accept 1080i, 720p, 540p, 480p, 480i, but I've read on some other
forums that Toshiba has acknowledged this to be false. And get-edid
fails to retrieve anything from my TV.

Can I aspire to something better with the 9A60?

Thanks,
--Rob