[mythtv-users] Audio Authority 9A60 questions

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Fri Mar 4 05:04:33 UTC 2005

On Thursday 03 March 2005 20:15, Robert Tsai wrote:
> What exactly does this thing do? As far as I can tell, it "translates"
> VGA input into component output. But it seems like it is more than
> that, because people talk about it giving them access to more
> modelines (TV resolutions) that they couldn't get when connecting the
> video card directly to the TV.

It simply transcodes VGA RGB signals into YPbPr component video signals. It
doesn't do anything to change the available resolutions.

> Does the 9A60 just look like a computer monitor to X (with different
> capabilities than those advertised by the TV when connected directly
> to the video card)? How does it "know" what to advertise to the video
> card those modes that the TV can support?

It does nothing of the sort. The computer has no idea the the transcoder is
there.

> What does the $100 9A60 provide that I can't get with a $30
> DVI-to-component adapter? (or a similar VGA-to-component adapter?)

DVI to component and VGA to component adapters are RGB component video, not
YPbPr component video. If your set takes RGB component video, that's the way
to go, but most HDTVs take YPbPr component video.

> I have a Toshiba 42H83 RPTV that will do a
> severely-overscanned-but-presentable 960x540p (856x480 viewable area)
> and an also-severely-overscanned 720x480p (didn't bother figuring out
> what the exact viewable area). The Toshiba manual claims the DVI input
> can accept 1080i, 720p, 540p, 480p, 480i, but I've read on some other
> forums that Toshiba has acknowledged this to be false. And get-edid
> fails to retrieve anything from my TV.

That's fairly typical, many HDTVs don't give out any DDC/EDID info.

> Can I aspire to something better with the 9A60?

Nope, its pretty much entirely manual. Gotta find the right modeline and tell
X to use it to drive your HDTV. I wrote a little bit on the subject a while
back:

http://wilsonet.com/mythtv/mythhd.php

Note that there are now native YPbPr component video output dongles for some
of the new nVidia 6200 series video cards that may make things easier. I've
got such a 6200, but haven't had time yet to set it up.

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com

Got a question? Read this first...