[mythtv-users] Understanding PVR 350 output options

John Harvey john.p.harvey at btinternet.com
Fri Mar 4 18:22:55 UTC 2005

Answers inserted below

John
 --- jgmtfia Mr <jgmtfia at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have a PVR350 and have it setup to run X using the
> frame buffer
> interface.  I also have myth setup to use the "Use
> PVR350 decoding"
> option.  I am using the composite video connector
> for tv output and a
> DVD player to simulate a video signal from a
> satellite box via the
> PVR350 svideo input.
>
> One problem when using the PVR350 within myth is
> that when leaving the
> program guide, live tv takes 10 to 20 seconds to
> display again, and in
> some cases I have to invoke a menu or
> channel-up/down to get live tv
> to display again.  I have found no reference to this
> problem on google
> or the mailing list.  I would be interested to hear
> any ideas on how
> to correct this.

There is known problem leaving the menu guide that
causes this problem. There is currently no known
workaround though i have had some ideas recently but
havent had time to investigate them. Since this now
happens for me regularly i may take a look at this
over the next few weeks.
> I must say that the picture quality of the PVR350 is
> GREAT!
>
> I also have a question about sound.  I would like
> live tv to use my
> sound card rather than the PVR350 sound output so
> that mythvideo and
> mythmusic all use the same speakers.  Is there a way
> to do this?

Feed the output of the 350 to the line in of your
sound card and make sure the line in volume is turned
off and that it isn't muted.

> My understanding of using the PVR350 for tv output
> is that mpeg is fed
> into /dev/video16 by mythtv and the menu system and
> mplayer output
> (mythvideo) uses the frame buffer interface.  Is my
> understanding
> correct?
Yes. The Programe guide problem is caused because this
uses X to then access the frame buffer and the code
switches alpha around to make this happen and timeing
issues cause it to go wrong sometimes.