[mythtv-users] the ultimate setup

Rei Toi rei_toi at walkingmountain.com
Fri Mar 4 19:20:20 UTC 2005

Hi Sarah -- I don't if it's the "ultimate" set-up, but, FWIW, here's
what I bought last week:

The Cooler Master 620 case:
http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=11-119-024&depa=0

A Coolmax 300w power supply, which is nice and quiet:
http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=17-159-021&depa=0

A Samsung SP1614N HDD, 160GB is enough for me, not doing any HD stuff.
http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=22-152-014&depa=0

This HDD needs to be set to "quiet mode" using Samsung's "hutil" utility
which you can download from Samsung:
http://www.samsung.com/Products/HardDiskDrive/utilities/hutil.htm

You can also find this handily included in the Ultimate Boot CD:
http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

I used hutil on the Ultimate Boot CD to config the HDD into "quiet mode"
before installing Linux (FC3)

I also purchased an Asus DVDE616P2BLACK 16X DVD-Rom (no burning for me)
which is also nice and quiet.  I bought this from an Amazon Merchant.

Finally, I'm using an Athlon XP cpu and bought a Thermaltake Silent
Boost fan for it:
http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=35-106-037&depa=0

I have built the unit and have just installed FC3, but have not yet had
the time to configure it and install MythTV.  I can say that it is
certainly quiet enough for me and I'll have no problem placing it in the
entertainment center when it's all done.

HTH

-Rei.