[mythtv-users] Is it legal to archive and collect episodes?

Andrew Close aclose at gmail.com
Fri Mar 4 20:57:53 UTC 2005

On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 15:42:01 -0500, sschaefer1 at woh.rr.com
<sschaefer1 at woh.rr.com> wrote:
> Is it legal to archive and collect episodes?
>
> I've read alot of references that it is and that it isn't, legal.
> I can see how we have fair use to record a show for our personal use, but doesn't collecting episodes go beyond that? Especially when the same series is retailed on DVD...

i'm pretty sure there are works in progress to outlaw this shortly.
;)
actually, with the broadcast flag this is a good possibility.  the
broadcast flag can be set in a couple of different ways (please
correct me if i'm wrong, i didn't read the spec).  it can be set to
prevent the recording of a show, it can also be set to permit the
recording of a show but with an expiration date.  it would also be
possible to set to permit the recording of a show allowing it to be
viewed only once.  <sarcasm>  and with the new smart HDTV's it can be
set to allow recording but played only once to a specific
audience...</sarcasm>