[mythtv-users] Is it legal to archive and collect episodes?

sschaefer1 at woh.rr.com sschaefer1 at woh.rr.com
Fri Mar 4 22:02:08 UTC 2005

Seems to be a lot of responses concerning the broadcast flag in digital airings. My question is more basic than that. Even with a the broadcast flag you'll still be able to record the episode at a lower resolution, and to include analog broadcasts.

I remember when VHS was fairly new, family friends that had recorded lots of movies... an entire wall of copies of videos they recorded off television or rented tapes.

Personally, I record an episode, watch it, then delete (aside from not having enough space), is what I've always thought fair use meant. I guess I'd like to know whether it is legal, in case I run across another series I like and the potential it'll never be offered on some format or aired in my area again, "Tropical Heat / Sweating Bullets"  :(  :(  :(

Unfortunately, I'm not the kind of person to assume what they don't know won't hurt them. Not saying anything bad about those who do think/feel that way.