[mythtv-users] Audio Authority 9A60 questions

Robert Tsai rtsai1111 at comcast.net
Fri Mar 4 23:45:12 UTC 2005

On Fri, Mar 04, 2005 at 11:42:33AM -0800, Jarod Wilson wrote:
> On Friday 04 March 2005 11:29, Brad Templeton wrote:
> > > But given that my TV does have a DVI input, are you saying that
> > > the 9A60 won't give me anything better than what I can do with
> > > DVI today, or is it possible that the TV might accept different
> > > (e.g., better-than-540p) resolutions over component video than
> > > it can over DVI?
> >
> > Almost certainly.   My understanding is that it is quite common
> > for set top boxes from the cable and satellite companies to output
> > 1080i on component video as their standard form.   An HDTV that
> > can't take 1080i over component video would not be much of an
> > HDTV.
>
> If his set can do 1080i, there's no reason it shouldn't be able to
> do 1080i over either DVI or component, is there? Granted, he may run
> into the interlace bug...

The manual *claims* that the DVI can accept 1080i, but many other
forums report that this is basically falsehood. Toshiba also has lots
of warning plastered throughout the manual saying that hooking up a PC
to the DVI port is unsupported and will void the warranty.

So I'm hoping that the 9A60 will help me get a better picture through
component video than the 480 lines (of an overscanned 540p) I can get
with my TV's crippled/b0rked DVI port. It sounds like this is in the
realm of possibility for me.

Thanks,
--Rob