[mythtv-users] Slightly OT: MythTV as Senior Project?

Brad Templeton brad+myth at templetons.com
Sat Mar 5 00:43:06 UTC 2005

On Fri, Mar 04, 2005 at 06:35:03PM -0600, Andrew Close wrote:
> On Fri, 4 Mar 2005 16:29:03 -0800, Ross Campbell
> <snip>
> > A mythweb interface
> > that would allow scheduling of on/off events would be very nice, and
> > it would be very cool to have a trigger for X10 events before and
> > after watching recordings and livetv - you know... dim the lights,
> > turn off hallway light when watching tv/recordings and then bring
> > lights back up/on after exiting to main menu.
>
> oooh, i want that feature.  that would <cartman>kick @$$!</cartman>
> i originally thought that building X10 stuff into Myth was kinda
> overkill since you could use the X10 remote or something like
> misterhouse to handle that functionality.  but i didn't consider being
> able to run macros from events within Myth.  one less step and several
> notches up on the coolness factor. ;)

There are probably other programs out there, but if somebody wants
to code this, I wrote a C program long ago that controls the x-10 serial
controller on linux that could be used.    Certainly for people who want
to show off a home theatre effect it would be cool.  The serial controller,
unfortunately, does not let you bring lights down.  If you ask it to set
a given dimmer setting, it first makes the light full bright, then drops
it down to the dimmer setting.  So you can bring the lights down but only
bring them full up fast.  Different hardware is less restrictive.