[mythtv-users] RE: How slow can we go, cpu wise? P2-333?

Andrew Lynch lynchaj at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 5 16:06:12 UTC 2005

mindfuq at fairfieldi wrote

[snip]

> I think adding an MPEG2 encoder would definitely
> increase performance as would an NVidia card but then
> it wouldn't be practically free anymore. A decent
> PVR-250 on special dealnews is $100 and an NVidia card
> is $40. A PVR-350 is an easy $150. Add any of those
> to practically ANY computer and you'd get decent
> performance.

Your article stated that you are using a ATI TV Wonder VE PCI tuner,
which has an mpeg2 chip onboard, if I understood the specs correctly.
Unless I'm missing something, you have an MPEG2 encoder already.

Mindfuq;

Dude, don't I wish!  No, I am pretty much certain that the ATI TV Wonder VE
PCI tuner is bt878 uses bttv modules and is generally not a very good tuner.
It is also a PITA to configure right because for some reason the kernel/bttv
wants to force it to tuner=19 rather than the normal tuner=2.  I have long
since upgraded to dual PVR-250's that do have MPEG2 encoder chips.  They are
much nicer.

Hey, but if I am wrong, feel free to show me what I've missed!  I'd LOVE
another card with MPEG2 encoding!

Thanks!

Andrew Lynch