[mythtv-users] Commercial Skip

Robin Smith 1canuck2 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 5 17:08:11 UTC 2005

While the commercial detection is very good (perhaps my favourite
feature), I have noticed that since the upgrade to .17 (and using the
All method), it tends to skip over the last 5 or 6 minutes of many
shows I watch. Big candidates for this include Carson Daly, and The
Daily Show. Both of these shows go for a final 2 minute commercial
break, then come back for a final 30 - 90 second goodye, then the
credits roll and there's commercials again.

In almost every recording of Daily Show, it skips right over the last
5 or 6 mins of the recording, right to the end of the show, and
sometimes hangs up MythTV requiring a kill and restart of Myth :(
It seems to be, if commercial skip skips to the end of the recording,
freezing is highly likely (on my system).  Add to this the inability
to skip back before a commercial (since it does the auto-leap forward
repeatedly if you try to jump back over a flagged break) and I pretty
much have to stop playing the show, start it from the start, turn off
the auto-skip then jump to the end of the show to see the final bit.
Sometimes with a complete Myth restart in there.

I am not complaining, just adding to the info in this thread. I
continue to be blown away by MythTV and wish I had the chops to be
able to contribute in some way, but I am no developer. Much respect is
due to everyone who contributes to this project.

Robin