[mythtv-users] timestretch results in chipmunk sound

Jeff Simpson llcooljeff at gmail.com
Sun Mar 6 07:13:15 UTC 2005

Time stretch works in very weird ways on my system (with a PVR-350)

- If I pick 0.5X it works fine (usually). If I pick anywhere between
0.5X and 1.0X, it goes exactly 1X

- If I pick 1.05X or anything faster, it goes REALLY fast. The jump
between 1.00X and 1.05X is WAY more than that percentage.

- Changing between 1.05X and 2.00X does change speed faster and
slower, but only slightly.

I did the math out and found that a 30s commercial takes 20s on 1.05X
(so a calculated 1.5X). 2X might be pretty close to 2x, but it was
hard to guage that one.

Another bug I noticed is that if time stretch is on and you skip
around, when it resumes, it plays at 1x, but the setting in the time
stretch remains at whatever value was previously selected (so for
example, run it at 1.2x, hit a skip, then it starts playing at 1x, but
the checkbox will still be next to 1.2x)

I love that feature and the fastforward feature, however, much nicer
than the skip! (especially how the extreme fast forward skips back a
little automatically when you stop it, assuming that the human reflex
is slower than needed to stop fast forwarding when needed)

 - Jeff

On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 17:29:40 -0400, stephen <mythmail at nb.sympatico.ca> wrote:
> Thom Paine wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 11:47:37 -0500, Nicholas McCoy <mccoyn at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >>I've got the same problem, except that I never got it to work before.
> >>I have a pvr-350 and I'm using knoppmyth.  When I installed 0.17 from
> >>cvs and it didn't work I assumed it was a hardware limitation.  You
> >>said you got it working though.  Are you using the video out from the
> >>350?  Has anyone else gotten this to work with the video out from the
> >>350?
> >>

> > I have this working with a 350, but I also have the chipmunks. I
> > thought that was the way it worked. I tried it on 1.2x.
> >

> I've also got the chipmunk thing on my 350.  However, when using
> timestrech on my backend, the audio doesn't change to a higher pitch
> (hooked up to a montior via video card, no need for a tv-out or
> re-routing of the sound).  Both systems are running Gentoo
> (2.6.10-gentoo-dev-sources-r7).
>
> I've noticed another odd thing -- if I choose a speed of 1.1, then go
> back to the menu to choose another, it shows 1.2 as being selected.  The
> speed always seems to be one notch more than what was previously
> selected.  (I think this was mentioned a few days ago, but I'm not sure ...)
>
> Stephen

email me if you want a gmail invite, I have some invites