[mythtv-users] almost there, now blue screen when trying to watch recording or live tv

Brad Templeton brad+myth at templetons.com
Sun Mar 6 21:20:54 UTC 2005

On Sun, Mar 06, 2005 at 11:25:40AM -0800, Tim Swortzel wrote:
> I've finally got everything installed.  Now, when I
> watch live tv, I get a blue screen.  If I record a
> show, then go to watch it, I see it in the preview
> screen playing normally, but when I select it to
> watch, it's a blue screen.  Anyone know why this is?
>
> I'm using an older machine (PIII 900 MHz  512M RAM), a
> PVR350, and the onboard video card.  I'm not using the
> tv out of the card, just watching on monitor.

The blue screen is xvideo not working properly.   I get this all the
time in certain nvidia configurations but only after I try to play 1080i
video, which I dobut you are doing.

xvideo works by slapping up a rectangle of a certain magic colour (often
a bright blue).  The xvideo hardware knows it should overlay on top of
this colour.  It's how you fake your windowing system overlay support
into xvideo which is deep in the card hardware.