[mythtv-users] Dual HDTV Tuner Requirements

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Mon Mar 7 09:09:28 UTC 2005

On Sunday 06 March 2005 13:02, Brad Templeton wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 06, 2005 at 07:59:10AM -0500, Jonathan M. Cooper wrote:
> > Thanks for your response.  Does that mean that PIP is not feasible with,
> > say, a P4 3.2GHz?
>
> I remain curious as to why people want PiP when they have MythTV.  Many
> people who use Myth stop watching live TV altogether, and I am amazed that
> the desire would remain to watch _two_ live TVs.

I second that. :-) My live TV watching has dropped to nearly zero since
getting Myth'd up about two years ago.

> But indeed, it might be a CPU problem since nobody has written yet a
> "clever" mpeg decoder which knows it is decoding for a tiny size and thus
> avoids the cpu load of decoding for full size and rescaling.
>
> A number of people are interested in such a decoder, since it would allow
> some people with older processors to watch HDTV recordings on their SDTVs.
> Still SDTV, but a fair bit better than NTSC recording.
>
> The EyeTV program for the Mac has such a clever decoder, so it is possible.

El Gato does some good work. I used to have one of the first EyeTV products
(external USB SDTV tuner), but sold it on eBay a few months ago, since it had
been sitting around collecting dust for ages. It'd be pretty slick if their
products (including their FireWire HDTV capture box) could be used as Myth
capture devices under Mac OS X.

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com