[mythtv-users] Note on Hauppauge S-Video adapter

John Kondis jkondis at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 7 09:54:18 UTC 2005

I don't know about others' experiences, but I tried to
use the composite-to-s-video adapter that came with my
Hauppauge 350 and the result was ugly.  The colors
were all messed up big time.  Interestingly, the
degree to which the colors were fubar'ed depended on
which channel I was tuned to!

For reference, I was using the adapter because my
Motorola digital cable box does not have S-video out,
only composite or coax (channel 3 modulated).  I found
out that the video quality of the Hauppauge was better
if it took video straight from the S-video input as
opposed to using the tuner at channel 3.  (I was
getting small but noticeable echoes using the tuner.)

So, I coughed up $21.99+tax at the local Radio Shack
and got their little s-video to composite adapter
(which works both ways supposedly), added an extra
s-video cable (because the adapter has only female
connectors) and it worked great!  The video quality is
now improved as was hoped.  So it seems the Radio
Shack adapter is of better quality than the adapter
that shipped with the Hauppauge 350.

Just thought others might want to know.