[mythtv-users] Low End MythTV

Blammo blammo.doh at gmail.com
Mon Mar 7 21:53:25 UTC 2005

> Did you write up your bench notes from the install?
> Do you have a webpage or are you considering putting
> one up?

Sadly no, though now I'm thinking I should have. If someone will add
some links to other peoples worklogs, I'll take a peek and try to do a
better job on the next one.

I did work quite heavily off Jarod's guide, but because XvMC isn't in
the rpms, I had to download and compile kernel / mythtv, which
accounted for at LEAST 80% of the setup time on this machine so far.

This is probably the 20th myth install I've been through (counting my
own), so they are going a bit quicker now..  Find something that works
and stick with it etc...

As far as the commercial flagging taking 8hours, the machine is a
Celeron 300, which came with the tiny 128k cache. I can only assume
that has something to do with the slow commerical flagging time.

(as an aside, damn commercial flagging takes a long time on HD
content... my flag times on my main flagger went up 4x when I started
recording HD content)

As far as lines of resolution, it can and does make a difference if
your destination is something big, like a big screen, between 320x240
and 720x480. If you're concerned about drive space (which you may on a
low-end machine) then dropping back to a lower res and datarate can
help reduce the disk usage. However, in this case, since the CPU usage
doesn't matter on capture, and matters little on playback (since XvMC
is being used) it was worth leaving it at a better quality.