[mythtv-users] What happened at KnoppMyth forums (mysettopbox.tv)?

Maverick mavantix at gmail.com
Tue Mar 8 09:33:19 UTC 2005

I'm assuming from the logs they posted, whoever did it backed up the
databases before doing whatever else they did. It also appears that
the compromise was either public or hacked access to the admin
utilities. Maybe there was no http auth setup on /admin? phpBB doc's
tell you to do that as part of the installation...

It's sad that people would do this stuff, but being a phpBB admin
myself, I know there's been alot of stupid script kiddies going after
phpBB sites lately. A board I maintain got hit with false (scripted)
new users a couple weeks ago, so I enabled visual conformation (enter
what you see in the image while creating accounts), so them someone
had the nerve to manually create an account and post a bunch of
messages linking to a porn site. I then promptly enabled admin
activation of all new users to go along with the visual conformation.
:)

PS, anyone running phpBB should use sourceforge's release monitoring
and watch for new versions. I have a habit of upgrading the same day
new security fixes come out, just to stay safe...

Cecil / Dale: I'll be glad to help in any way I can...

-Kenneth