[mythtv-users] DPMS and televisions; some useful ideas and a question

Shawn Willden shawn-myth at willden.org
Tue Mar 8 17:55:51 UTC 2005

I have kids and a brand-new 50" DLP HDTV, which has a bulb that will
eventually burn out.  In case the conflict there isn't obvious, the kids
have a tendency to leave the TV on, wasting electricity and reducing the
bulf lifespan.  I was looking for ways to fix this and figured out some
things that may be useful to others.

I also have a question about what settings are "optimal" for preserving
the life of my projector bulb.

If your TV, like mine, has an automatic power-down feature when there is
no input signal for a time (mine shuts down after 15 minutes with no
signal), then you can effectively use DPMS "suspend" mode to shut off
your TV automatically.

There's no problem with losing the picture during video playback even
with fairly aggressive DPMS settings, because mplayer disables DPMS
while it's running and xine sends fake X events every few seconds to
simulate user activity.  I would suppose the Myth live TV player does
something similar (I don't have any TV signal; we just watch movies).

To get my TV to shut off, I use a five-minute inactivity timeout for
DPMS "suspend" mode.  Something like:

    xset dpms 240 280 300

But that will only work if xine is not currently running.  So, I added
"-pq" to the command line options to xine, which causes it to exit when
the video ends.  20 minutes later, assuming no user activity, the TV
will turn off.

Maybe this is really obvious to everyone else here, but I found it quite
nice that I could get the TV to turn off automatically.

What I'm unsure about is what is really best for the life of the bulb.
Clearly electricity usage is optimized by shutting off as quickly as
practically possible, but I know that many electrical components suffer
more damage due to the heating and cooling associated with on/off cycles
than they do by simply being left on all the time.  Does anyone have any
idea what usage pattern maximizes the lifetime of the bulbs in
projectors and projection TVs?

Thanks,

    Shawn.