[mythtv-users] Anyone else having problems ripping new movies?

Peter Valdemar Morch swp5jhu02 at sneakemail.com
Tue Mar 8 22:58:05 UTC 2005

Andrew Gallatin gallatin-at-cs.duke.edu |Lists| wrote:
> Xine does work though, exactly once per insertion of a DVD.  If I try
> to use it a second time, it doesn't work.    I don't think dd has a
> chance to work, since there was no dvdcss auth done...

dd doesn't use or need dvdcss. It creates a binary copy of the DVD. dd
doesn't care what is on it.

When dd has created a binary copy of the DVD in /tmp and xine runs that,
xine will call dvdcss to decrypt that binary image in /tmp.

dd needs to work. Every time. Only then will you know that the OS can
get at your DVD drive reliably.

That fact the dd freezes your system is also an indication that
something bad is up with your DVD drive.

I can only repeat that it sure sounds to me like a hardware or
DVD-burner-driver problem. But of course what you choose to spend your
time on is up to you. And I might be wrong! :-D

Peter

--
Peter Valdemar Mørch
http://www..........