[mythtv-users] Distro Advice Sought - epia m10000 for firewire (1394) recording

Jeffrey Kember jkember at gmail.com
Wed Mar 9 06:36:43 UTC 2005

Hi Jarod,

Thanks for the mail. I'm thinking of exploring the new unichrome
drivers for the m10000 for standard definition playback. However, for
high definition playback (and DVD ifo files), I'm looking into a Roku
HD 1000. I like that they are solid state, linux based, have an sdk
and play .ts HD files back in hardware. The rev B models have a 128
megs and MPlay has been ported. I'm open to other suggestions if
anyone wishes to step up.

> You didn't mention what your frontend would be... I hope you aren't hoping to
> also use the EPIA for HDTV playback, because it ain't gonna work. :-)
>
> The latest Myth packages on ATrpms.net include FireWire input support, and the
> repo also provides the required libraw1394 and libiec61883 packages. There's
> a bit of work you have to do to get the needed modules loading
> and /dev/raw1394 doesn't get created by udev (bug in the current raw1394 code
> in the kernel), but its pretty easy to set up.

I'll install Fedora Core 3 in the morning and go looking for your rpms - thanks!

> I plan to actually write about it this weekend...

I look forward to reading your 1394 recording post.