[mythtv-users] How I got great quality TV-out on my nVidia MX4000

Cory Papenfuss papenfuss at juneau.me.vt.edu
Wed Mar 9 14:35:29 UTC 2005

> I've built one of these and the result is _much_ better than the
> TV-out from by Nvidia card. The image quality is even higher than from
> my Sony DVB set-top-box.

 	Doesn't surprise me.  Even a 20 year old VGA card can do twice the
bandwidth required of SDTV.  Newer ones are more like 20x (350MHz dotclock
vs 14Mhz for SDTV).   I've done something similar (although I'm
using an analog S-vid chip for NTSC).  No scaling done, just build the
proper modeline and see tvout the way it was meant to be.  Crystal-clear,
readable terminals, high color fidelity, and unparallelled sharpness for
SDTV.  Of course it's 30Hz interlaced, but that's something to be lived
with (since SDTV *IS* interlaced)

-Cory