[mythtv-users] Running two X servers (with PVR350) at the same time?

Michael Arndt marndt at bulldog.tzo.org
Wed Mar 9 18:40:11 UTC 2005

Hello,

I'm a long time linux user, but new to mythtv.  After following Jarod's great
guide, and using the archives of this list, I have mythtv up and running!

I've got a FC3 system with a PVR350 and an old voodoo3 card in it.  I'd like to
run two X servers at the same time - one on the voodoo3 for my desktop work,
and obviously mythtv on the PVR350.  I've got my xorg.conf setup with two
two ServerLayout sections, and I modified gdm.conf to connect to both X
servers.  All of this works fine, *but*, it seems I can only use one of the
X servers at a time.  If I Ctrl-Alt-F8 over to my desktop X display running
on my voodoo3, mythtv stops running on my PVR350.  If I Ctrl-Alt-F7 back, to
make my PVR350 X display work, mythtv works fine, but I obviously then can
not use my desktop display.

So...any ideas?  I'm thinking there must be other people out there who use
the same system for mythtv and desktop work?  I read one post from the
archives indicating that only one X server can be active at a time, but the
post was rather old, so I don't know if this is still the case or not.  Let me
know if you want to see my xorg.conf or gdm.conf, or anything else!

One other thing - when I log in on the voodoo3 display, I get a bunch of
gnome errors about the gnome-settings-daemon quiting unexpectedly.  Any ideas
on that?  I am trying to run gnome on my voodoo3 display, and I have
Windowmaker running on the PVR350 display.

Thanks!

Mike