[mythtv-users] Plextor PX-TV402U-NA

David myth at dgreaves.com
Wed Mar 9 20:49:07 UTC 2005

Nathan Lutchansky wrote:

>On Wed, Mar 09, 2005 at 09:23:53AM +0000, David wrote:
>

>>One key question - is the device's low-level hardware specification
>>(needed for writing the driver) available to others who might want to
>>take up the reigns should you, Nathan, move on. I assume so as a driver
>>is often an expression of the hardware spec in code and since this is a
>>GPL driver...
>>

>Driver development is funded by WIS Technologies, who makes the encoder
>ASIC in the ConvertX, and who has every intention of keeping the driver
>current.
>
>However, the reference documentation is only available under the standard
>WIS developer agreement.  This is primarily because the documentation
>focuses strongly on hardware design and internal architecture, which is
>important for ODMs developing hardware around the encoder, and which WIS
>considers to be confidential information.  Similar restrictions are placed
>on documentation for supporting components such as the Sony TV tuners.

OK
So this is actually a *VASTLY* better situation to that we have with
Conexant and their chips in the Hauppage PVR range?
(Insofar as the ivtv driver guys are prodding the registers and watching
to figure out what happens!!)

What's involved in the WIS developer agreement?
Are they happy to give it out to GPL developers (subject to an NDA and
maybe a 'credibility' check) or is it $10k like the Conexant one.

Nb - trying to get the full picture - not being ungrateful or critical :)

David