[mythtv-users] MythTV in my spam

Stephen Boddy stephen.boddy at btinternet.com
Thu Mar 10 00:50:36 UTC 2005

On Wednesday 09 March 2005 11:43, Simon Kenyon wrote:
> here in europe they have finally agreed on what HDTV standards are going to
> be adopted. Sky TV (the major satellite broadcaster in the UK and Ireland)
> has stated that their boxes will only have HDMI (with  HDCP protection)
> output for HD. what will i/we do with myth then?
>
> this is not a troll - i want to understand the situation because i spend
> rather a lot on money/time on mythtv

this is not an answer ;-) personally I think Sky is a waste of money. 50% is
crap and/or ancient, 20% is repeated 6 times a week, 20% is adverts, 8% they
want you to pay even more for (sports/movies), and of the 2% left, perhaps 1
in 10 is something I might want to watch! Of those few, the majority will be
on FTA, usually within a month or two, and I can be patient.

I think people are starting to get a glimmer of what TV should be like.
What /I/ want to watch, when /I/ want to watch it. This is technically
possible in a number of ways. HTPC's for the most part give me choice and
flexibility, but the problem comes when STB's are put into most homes. The
network infrastructure needs to be in place first, but they will restrict my
choices and rights, and you'll even be unable to skip ads. Believe me,
content providers would love to push dumb set-top boxes into homes and keep
the storage and access restrictions in the CP's network. The next step is
pay-per-view everything, although that is some years away. You'll be looking
for 10-20 Mbps to homes, at low cost. On top of that the infrastructure will
need to be in place to distribute all that content, and that is not a small
investment.

For those that don't have a problem with the dubious legality, I don't doubt
that at some point you will be able to get an HDCP stripper. Of course you
then become, in the eyes of the content providers, the same class of person
as burglars, murderers, rapists and worse. You also have the fun of trying to
buy and import a piece of equipment from a dodgy firm (prob. Chinese or one
of the other countries where they can get away with ignoring the legal
issues.)
--
Steve Boddy