[mythtv-users] Help: PVR-250 not appearing in /dev/video

Theo Chaojareon theodc at gmail.com
Thu Mar 10 03:26:03 UTC 2005

Hey all, I have a PVR-250 that I just can't get to show up in
/dev/video.  I am running FC3 and I have been following Jarod's FC3
guide to the T, except now I have run into problems in step 10, setting
up the capture card.

I have installed ivtv doing the following:

# apt-get install ivtv-firmware
# apt-get install ivtv-kmdl-$KVER
# apt-get install ivtv

Then put the following into /etc/modprobe.conf:

# ivtv modules setup
alias char-major-81 videodev
alias char-major-81-0 ivtv
alias tveeprom tveeprom-ivtv

I run these commands:

# /sbin/depmod -a
# /sbin/modprobe ivtv

Which run with no errors.  Then checking I run:

# /sbin/lspci -v

Which yields:

00:09.0 Multimedia video controller: Internext Compression Inc iTVC16
(CX23416)MPEG-2 Encoder (rev 01)
         Subsystem: Hauppauge computer works Inc. WinTV PVR 250
         Flags: medium devsel, IRQ 10
         Memory at 30000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=64M]

Which worries me because I don't see the bus master and the latency
flags that are in the results for both Jared's FC3 guide and the mythtv
docs...  but continuing...

I then run and get:

# ll /dev/video?
ls: /dev/video: No such file or directory
# /bin/dmesg |grep Initialized
ieee1394: Initialized config rom entry `ip1394'

Which is not "ivtv: Initialized WinTV PVR 250, card #0" that I hoped it
would be.

So I did some google searches and searched both the ivtv and the mythtv
mail archives...  None of the similar issues I found were quite like
mine.  One issue I know I have is the VIA chipset.  I'm not sure it
would cause this issue.

I am a newbie when it comes to Linux so any help would be MUCH
appreciated.  Thanks!

-Theo