[mythtv-users] Running two X servers (with PVR350) at the same time?

Jeff Simpson llcooljeff at gmail.com
Thu Mar 10 04:17:39 UTC 2005

I run a very similiar setup. While myth doesn't run when the normal
screen is activated, the TV0ut on the PVR-350 still works (not the
framebuffer, however). So I switch to VT8 to change channels, browse
the guide, menus, recordings, etc, but when something is playing I can
switch back to the desktop and work. Not a very permanent solution,
but it works!

 - Jeff

On Wed, 9 Mar 2005 12:40:11 -0600, Michael Arndt <marndt at bulldog.tzo.org> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm a long time linux user, but new to mythtv.  After following Jarod's great
> guide, and using the archives of this list, I have mythtv up and running!
>
> I've got a FC3 system with a PVR350 and an old voodoo3 card in it.  I'd like to
> run two X servers at the same time - one on the voodoo3 for my desktop work,
> and obviously mythtv on the PVR350.  I've got my xorg.conf setup with two
> two ServerLayout sections, and I modified gdm.conf to connect to both X
> servers.  All of this works fine, *but*, it seems I can only use one of the
> X servers at a time.  If I Ctrl-Alt-F8 over to my desktop X display running
> on my voodoo3, mythtv stops running on my PVR350.  If I Ctrl-Alt-F7 back, to
> make my PVR350 X display work, mythtv works fine, but I obviously then can
> not use my desktop display.
>
> So...any ideas?  I'm thinking there must be other people out there who use
> the same system for mythtv and desktop work?  I read one post from the
> archives indicating that only one X server can be active at a time, but the
> post was rather old, so I don't know if this is still the case or not.  Let me
> know if you want to see my xorg.conf or gdm.conf, or anything else!
>
> One other thing - when I log in on the voodoo3 display, I get a bunch of
> gnome errors about the gnome-settings-daemon quiting unexpectedly.  Any ideas
> on that?  I am trying to run gnome on my voodoo3 display, and I have
> Windowmaker running on the PVR350 display.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Mike

email me if you want a gmail invite, I have some invites