[mythtv-users] Help: PVR-250 not appearing in /dev/video

William wmunson at rochester.rr.com
Thu Mar 10 04:20:33 UTC 2005

> I have installed ivtv doing the following:
>
> # apt-get install ivtv-firmware
> # apt-get install ivtv-kmdl-$KVER
> # apt-get install ivtv
>
> Then put the following into /etc/modprobe.conf:
>
> # ivtv modules setup
> alias char-major-81 videodev
> alias char-major-81-0 ivtv
> alias tveeprom tveeprom-ivtv
>
> I run these commands:
>
> # /sbin/depmod -a
> # /sbin/modprobe ivtv
>
> Which run with no errors.  Then checking I run:
>
> # /sbin/lspci -v
>
> Which yields:
>
> 00:09.0 Multimedia video controller: Internext Compression Inc iTVC16
> (CX23416)MPEG-2 Encoder (rev 01)
>          Subsystem: Hauppauge computer works Inc. WinTV PVR 250
>          Flags: medium devsel, IRQ 10
>          Memory at 30000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=64M]
>          Capabilities: [44] Power Management version 2
>
> Which worries me because I don't see the bus master and the latency
> flags that are in the results for both Jared's FC3 guide and
> the mythtv
> docs...  but continuing...
>
> I then run and get:
>
> # ll /dev/video?
> ls: /dev/video: No such file or directory
> # /bin/dmesg |grep Initialized
> ieee1394: Initialized config rom entry `ip1394'
>
> Which is not "ivtv: Initialized WinTV PVR 250, card #0" that
> I hoped it
> would be.

If this is on a FC3 distro its exactly the problem I ran into. If you look
further down the dmesg output you will probably find an error message and
the ivtv load process aborts. I personally was not able to resolve this and
ended up going back to FC2 which plays perfectly. Good luck with it. My
suggestion (which is sure to piss off the linux guru's) is to go with the
older release. FC3 = Windows ME

Bill