[mythtv-users] SA3000 and sound switching

PAUL WILLIAMSON pwilliamson at mandtbank.com
Thu Mar 10 17:05:58 UTC 2005

Fellow mythers -

I've got two PVR-250's in a backend working perfectly.  They are
connected directly to the incoming signal, so no cable box to
deal with.

I was over at a friends house this weekend, and he and
his wife were watching a show called "The L word" on
his Tivo.  All comments aside, my wife liked it too.
So, because it's on after bedtime (10pm on Sundays),
she wanted to know if we got it and if I could "myth it."

Well, we do, but it's on Showtime which is only available
on digital cable (through a SA 3k box) for me.  My problem
is that if I use this cable box, audio from channels 1-99
come out the stereo (RCA style) analog jacks, but 100+
come out of the coax (digital, woohoo!) jack.
I'd like to get the better video quality of using s-video
rather than coax cable, and the *potentially* better
quality of using the coax digital audio rather than the
coax cable.  I deal with this normally by just having both
the stereo rca and coax digital plugged in to my HT receiver
and it figures out where the sound is coming from.  The
problem with this is that I miss out on all the extra
programming that I pay an awful lot of money for to
the cable barrons every month.

Should I not worry about it and just use the coax
cable output from the SA 3K going in to the 250?

I'm using layman's terms for stereo, coax, coax digital,
so if any of them are wrong, I'm sorry about that.

Thanks,
Paul