[mythtv-users] Newbie question about designing a split system

Ron Johnson ron.l.johnson at cox.net
Thu Mar 10 17:25:36 UTC 2005

Hi,

Since I'd like to have MythTV on 2 TVs (bedroom & living room),
it looks like this would be a decent setup:

        BACKEND
        -------
        Via CPU, 1GHz, built-in VGA & audio
        256-512MB RAM
        X GB HDD, managed by lvm
        2 - HAUPPAUGE PVR-250

        FRONTEND - each unit
        --------
        Via CPU, 600MHz, fanless if possible.
        256-512MB RAM
        small HDD, or none, once I figure out PXE
        DVD drive, for watching movies from Blockbuster
        NVIDIA PCI with TV-out.
        Soundblaster Live 5.1 or Audigy
        lirc-compatible IR remote control

Some questions:
- Have I left anything out?

- The PVR-250 only has S-Video and composite inputs, but I have
  cable service.  Is there any way to convert 75-ohm coax input
  to composite output?  (Yes, a VCR would work, but I'd need 2 of
  them, and would not use the "VCR" part of the VCR...)

- When I "change the channel" on the frontend, does it send some
  sort of a message to the backend, saying "change the channel"?

Thanks,
Ron
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA

I like my women like I like my coffee: ground up and in the
freezer.