[mythtv-users] MYTH_PROTO_VERSION

matt matt.hammer at gmail.com
Thu Mar 10 18:13:40 UTC 2005

I am also seeing a blank screen when trying to watch TV from
mythfrontend and a MYTH_PROTO_VERSION error appears in the console.  I
also get it when i try and run mythfilldatabase.  I am using a Hauppauge
250 card & ivtv .2.0rc3a drivers, and I can capture static when i
directly "cat /dev/video0 > test.mpg" (static is OK? - means I just have
to change the channel?).

The exact error reads:
ReadStringList timeout (quick).
Unexpected response to MYTH_PROTO_VERSION:

My frontend and backend are running on the same machine with 127.0.0.1
<http://127.0.0.1>
in both setup fields. (changing both to the address of the HTPC machine
in the home network changes nothing).  The video0 (and the video
symbolic link) device is chmod'ed to 777.  I have tried running the
backend and the frontend in varying combinations of root and regular user.

I compiled mythtv from source (since i have an AMD64, i upgraded to gcc
3.4 & g++ 3.4 beforehand)
My machine is running Debian Sarge (Alioth for the AMD64), and since its
compiled from source there is no mythtv user, unlike the i386 debian
myth package.

I installed once, with Debian Sid Alioth - mythtv (installed from Debian
packages) worked OK, reformatted and rebuilt for other reasons.
Couldn't rebuild with Sid, due to broken g++ AMD64 packages, built with
Sarge - mythtv worked once per reboot (MYTH_PROTO_VERSION troubles) when
I fiddled with permissions and users  (could not ever establish a
consistent reason why)
Reformatted and rebuilt again, and now mythtv won't display live TV at all.

I set up ethereal and montiored lo, while running both mythfilldatabase
or mythfrontend.
I then applied the display filter suggested above.
The monitor is picking up transmissions back and forth between ports
32847 and 6543.
There is a "PSH,ACK" labeled TCP packet that gets retransmitted 5 times
due to an incorrect checksum (the actual checksum is always 0xfe45,
while the desired checksum changes each time) .
The message "MYTH_PROTO_VERSION 14" is visable in each incorrect
checksum packet in the ASCII translation at the bottom of the window.

--matt