[mythtv-users] Problem with multiple sound cards

Scott Minneman sminneman at gmail.com
Thu Mar 10 20:00:39 UTC 2005

I set up my Myth box (using Gentoo) with one WinTV Go card, hooked
through the onboard nForce sound.  Everything worked fine.  In Myth, I
had it set up as /dev/video0 and /dev/dsp.

Then I went to put in a second WinTV Go card, with a SB Live 5.1 card.
I set it for /dev/video1 and /dev/dsp1.  Video worked, but sound didn't,
on either device (switching tuners gave the same thing on both -- video
but no sound).

I tried to load the emu10k1 module, using modprobe, and it says the
module does not exist.  So, I tried to emerge alsa-driver, and it said
that it could not, because ALSA support is compiled into the kernel.
(Portage reports that alsa-driver is not installed.)

Anyone know how I can get the module loaded (preferably without
recompiling my kernel)?  Or, alternately, is there another way I can get
both sound cards working?