[mythtv-users] Hauppauge WINTV-PVR-500MCE

Brad Benson bbenso1 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 11 05:25:42 UTC 2005

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 15:40:15 -0800, Jarod Wilson <jarod at wilsonet.com> wrote:
> >  I've currently got a single 350 doing encode and decode on my MBE/FE
> > system.  When the 500 gets here I'll be putting that in the same
> > system with the 350 and I'll report back with any problems.
>
> One more thing to note about the 150 and 500 coexisting with a 350 and/or
> 250... At the moment, scaling the video down to anything less than
> full-resolution (720x480 NTSC, 720x576 PAL) at encoding time is not yet
> possible on the 150 and 500, so your recording profiles will have to all use
> 720x480 for the moment. I believe scaling is one of the next things on the
> list to tackle...
Not a problem really.  I've been recording at 720x480 for ease of
converting to DVD, but just today I switched that down to 352x480
since I get pretty much the same quality video and save some space.
But hey, I've been getting 720x480 so why not go back to it if I can
record 3 shows simultaneously rather than just 1?

> > Thanks for your hard work on this Jarod!
>
> The bigger thanks go to a number of folks on the ivtv list, the tveeprom and
> tuner stuff I did was pretty trivial compared to the work they did on the
> cx25840 component. But I'll take what I can get. ;-)

Well then, thanks to all those folks as well. :)  But I don't think I
ever sent out a big thank you for the FC install guide without which I
would've spent MUCH more time getting my first box up and running.
When I told my GF that I was "building a tivo" she looked at me like I
had two heads and she was still perturbed with the amount of time I
spent on it.  Without your guide I probably wouldn't have a GF
anymore. :)

> > I've really been wanting to
> > add a new tuner and 2 is always better than 1 (as long as the 2
> > actually work ;) ).  Since I only have 1 PCI slot left I was really
> > hoping the 500 would get some working drivers.
>
> For the most part, my analog tuners do next to nothing anymore. I've got a
> pcHDTV HD-2000 capture OTA HD, cable HD coming off my cable box via FireWire,
> and an Air2PC card I'm still working on (can't seem to get anything off cable
> at the moment, may just move it to OTA as well). Getting my 150 and 500
> working has mostly been just for fun! :-)

I'm glad you had fun doing it (although that's why we all do it,
right?).  I don't yet have an HDTV so the HD stuff is just pie in the
sky for me at this point.  I'm happy to not have to miss the new South
Park on Wednesday because the GF wants to make sure we get the new
episode of Newlyweds on MTV.  God forbid I'd just watch South Park
when it's on live TV.  Live TV?  What's that? ;)

Brad