[mythtv-users] Fanless graphics card suggestions?

Rickard Olsson richie at webhackande.se
Fri Mar 11 06:55:09 UTC 2005

Richard Holroyd wrote:

> My current Geforce 440mx has a very load fan attached. Has anyone got
> any suggestions/recommendations for a relatively cheap replacement card
> that does not require such cooling and is available in the UK? I nearly
> have my myth box down to acceptable noise levels! Ah so close.

A GeForce 440mx should run fine with just a heatsink. Most of the budget
cards of that variety available these days don't have fans, just
heatsinks. Look around for online retailers that have images of their
products - it's pretty obvious which cards have fans and which don't.

You could also try to just remove the fan and leave the bottom heatsink
and see what happens - those sinks aren't as good as sinks that are
designed for no-fan operations, but depending on air-flow, it may work.

     / Rickard Olsson,IT-Konsult/
    / Telefon: +46 70 635 01 42/
   / http://www.webhackande.se/