[mythtv-users] How I got great quality TV-out on my nVidia MX4000

Tom Lichti tom at redpepperracing.com
Fri Mar 11 16:16:05 UTC 2005

Will Dormann wrote:

> Tom Lichti wrote:
>
>> As an aside, what is the preferred Nvidia card for TV output? I have
>> a generic GeForce 4 MX440 and it works alright, although I'm sure it
>> could be better. If there is a better card to use, what is it?
>

> From what I gather, the MX4000 is just a die-shrunk version of the
> MX440, so if you follow my instructions you should be able to get
> pretty good results.     Is this not the case?

I used your settings late last night, and I didn't notice an appeciable
difference. I did notice a lot of 'smearing' for lack of a better term,
in that when there was quick motion, you could see alternating
horizontal lines that were out of sync in certain places on the screen,
most noticable when there was  large difference between light and dark
areas of the screen. I used your first posted settings (and I did notice
that some of the options you described were not in the same sections as
my XF86config file for some reason)

I should mention that I can't use XvMC since I get tons of those
'pre-buffering pause' messages and lots of a/v hiccups with it, that go
away when I don't use XvMC. I have tried the tweaks that have been
posted to various messages but nothing made them go away. I have a P3
1Ghz, dual PVR250's and the aforementioned MX440. With XvMC the CPU
usage was minimal, now it's a constant 30-40%, but at least watching TV
is smooth.

I need to go through this thread more thoroughly to see if I missed
anything important.

Thanks
Tom