[mythtv-users] Can a master backend have no inputs?

Stephen Boddy stephen.boddy at btinternet.com
Fri Mar 11 21:54:25 UTC 2005

On Friday 11 March 2005 21:18, cythraul wrote:
> Since this setup in kind of non-standard giving the fact that people
> usually use a Myth box to capture TV, no authoritative answer will
> probably be provided.
>
> Since the backend will probably complain about no card or lineup
> defined, I suggest you define a dummy capture card and see if the
> backend will start anyway even tho it will certainly complain that it
> could not initialize it.

The backend does start without a capture card. My laptop is running 0.17 right
now. Things are a bit rough as I haven't spent the time to get everything
working properly, but it does start and you can use the frontend to browse
manually added channels in the EPG. If you try to view live TV, it just tells
you that all cards are in use.

My query was more to do with adding the slave backends to the master. i.e.
would the lack of a card on initial setup of the master cause problems with
getting the ones in the slave working. Possibly something unique may be done
on adding the initial cards in the master as opposed to adding slave cards.

> Tinkering with it will help you define a way to accomplish your goal.
> I, for one, will be happy to hear from your experience.

Infinite flexibility tends to give rise to infinite uncertainty ;-) I guess
I'm just going to have to go ahead and do it. I've been putting this off for
far too long.
--
Steve Boddy