[mythtv-users] Purchasing a PVR-500

Jason Knisley knisleyjw at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 12 11:15:01 UTC 2005

The PVR-500 MCE has an FM Tuner and no IR receiver.
This means that you get the FM tuner (which we don't
have working atm) and you don't get the remote control
thingy with it.

The remote's not a big deal for me... I ended up
getting a Remote Wonder IR receiver a long time ago.
It's an ATI thing that costs about $40 and works very
nicely, I think. I like IR because you don't have the
whole line-of-sight-issue.

There are no manuals, no WinTV software, no nuffin'
except a CD with Windows XP/MCE drivers. In our case,
it doesn't really matter. The folks over on ivtv-devel
have the card working pretty well. VBI is still an
issue, as is scaling (you have to capture at 720*480),
but these things are being tackled quickly. The
PVR500/150 has had a lot of active development of
late.

If you have detailed questions, you might want to head
over to ivtv-devel and read previous posts or lurk for
a bit. There's also Chris Kennedy's new ivtv-0.3.2i
driver you can try if you get the card. It's the
current bleeding edge.

Jason