[mythtv-users] Shopping for an HDTV for Myth

Brad Templeton brad+myth at templetons.com
Sat Mar 12 19:39:04 UTC 2005

On Sat, Mar 12, 2005 at 10:30:24AM -0600, Moasat wrote:
> I have an MX4000 but I may upgrade that to something with DVI.  I'm
> wondering if any users that have a working HDTV/Myth setup could offer any
> pointers for buying a nice HDTV.  I currently have a Hitachi that never
> really played well with Myth and my AA VGA to YUV converter.  (Never could
> get a good modeline that wasn't either off-center of too large or small to
> fit on screen.)
>
> What brands/technologies seem to work the best and look good as well.  I'm
> thinking of getting a DLP based TV unless someone has had a super bad
> experience.

There are brand new drivers from Nvidia, but I have not yet heard if they
fix the DVI bug in nvidia cards (which are otherwise your only good choice
for HD it seems.)

Some brands take RGBHV inputs as well as YPbPr -- that will save you a
$100 converter (or a high-end nvidia 6600).   Some brands have VGA ports
on the back, which is also good, but in some cases may not allow use of
1080i or even more than 1024x768.   Check into that.

Mitsibushi, which I have, does both vga and RGBHV.   Their DVI, I am
disappointed to learn, is not high quality.

MAKE SURE YOUR TV TAKES 720P INPUT directly, especially if it is
a TV with native 720 or 768 lines of resolution, as most dlp/lcd tvs are.
I had an RCA that did not do this and there are other brands that insist
all input be at 1080i!   Run away from such TVs.

Modern DLP are good (get one with a fast spinning colour wheel.)  Modern
LCD are also good (rumour has it some people predict the colours will fade
over time.)   CRT projectors are older, some claim to really have 1080 lines
but I have not seen them appear much sharper though it's hard to do a good
test.

Some day there will be support for streaming video to the TV over
firewire.  Toshiba, Mitsubishi and RCA sets take this (DTVLink) but again,
today there is no support for it.

On the other hand, you may decide you can save some bucks because you
don't need an ATSC tuner if you have myth, which is true.  (you won't get
the dtvlink if you don't have a tuner though.)  Right now due to the rules,
only lower end and older models are without tuners I think.