[mythtv-users] USB MCE IR Receiver

Jim Oltman cnliberal at gmail.com
Sat Mar 12 23:21:47 UTC 2005

My last post was about this very same thing, but I wasn't specific
enough and I caused a very nice person, Martin, to spend an aweful lot
of time helping me out.  Apologies again!  Getting down to it.  When I
boot with the MCE USB receiver plugged in, cat /var/log/messages |
grep usb gives me this output:

Mar 12 11:36:41 mythfrontend kernel: usbcore: registered new driver usbfs
Mar 12 11:36:41 mythfrontend kernel: usbcore: registered new driver hub
Mar 12 11:36:44 mythfrontend kernel: usbcore: registered new driver hiddev
Mar 12 11:36:44 mythfrontend kernel: usbcore: registered new driver usbhid
Mar 12 11:36:44 mythfrontend kernel: drivers/usb/input/hid-core.c:
v2.0:USB HID core driver
Mar 12 11:36:45 mythfrontend kernel: usb 3-2: new full speed USB
device using ohci_hcd and address 2

I am not sure what settings to put in my modprobe.conf and if I need
to edit lircd in /etc/rc.d/init.d/ or not.  Here is the pertinent part
of my modprobe.conf after I followed some directions at
FedoraForum.org
(http://fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=27829&highlight=ttyUSB0):

# LIRC Setup

alias char-major-188-0 usbserial
options usbserial vendor=0x0471 product=0x0815
alias lirc0 lirc_mceusb
install lirc_mceusb ;\
  /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install lirc_mceusb

Can anyone please point me in the right direction?  What am I doing
wrong?  Here are my system stats:

Frontend System:

2500+ Athlon
512MB PC2700 RAM
Asus A7N8X-E DLX Mobo
Chaintech FX5200 128MB RAM
DVD+R drive, Floppy drive
MCE USB IR Receiver/Blaster
Using Jarod's Guide
FC3 running vanilla 2.6.10_770 kernel
APT-GET all components (lirc, nvidia drivers, mythtv-suite, etc all
done on 3-11-05)

Thanks to Jarod for his wonderful guide.  Because of him I had a great
Mythbox going for months.  And thanks to me for mucking it up!!